Saturday, November 11, 2006

Some thoughts on leading a Team


When first asked to consider leading this team to Pearlington, I thought no big deal. I have gotten our family ready for many road trips - adding a few more people didn't seem like a big thing at the time. However, I found out that there are a lot of decisions that one needs to make as the team leader - t-shirt designs, color of t-shirts, travel dates, hotel reservations need to be made, setting the budget, to name a few. When someone has a question, I am supposed to be able to answer it. I have felt overwhelmed until I was reminded that God brought Gary and I into this role and He will continually give the strength, wisdom and direction needed - when it is needed, not before or after.

As we near the departure date, my living room is beginning to fill with things for the trip. The living room has always served as the staging area for our family trips and will do so again for this trip. I have watched God pull together some wonderful things. The excitement is building as the kids realize we are one week away from our departure. In some ways this trip feels like going home after a long absence, a reunion with old friends and a time to make new ones. There is one thing that I have asked the Lord to do for me for this trip - one was to have Canada Jon come to Pearlington while we were there - God answered this one - he will be arriving on Thursday. I can't wait to meet this man that I have heard and read about, have exchanged emails with and now will get to meet in person. Only God can orchestrate such things. There is one more thing that I have asked - we will see if He will orchestrate this one as well.

As we near the departure, satan's attacks have also increased. This is always the hardest part of any trip - knowing that satan does not like what we are about to do and he does his best to derail us. However, God will get us through those fiery darts. Pastor John said in his sermon this week that the determining battle in satan's demise has been fought on the cross. Therefore these temporary battles are nothing. He knows he has been defeated - just unwilling to admit defeat.

God has been good in all of His dealings with this team. He has put together a team of 12 that will work together in service to Christ. This is an exciting time to be a Sunday School team leader, taking members from my class to a place that I have been to share an experience like no other. Pray that God will change us from the inside out - to become more like him in all we say and do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home